At UCSF, we conduct basic science, surveillance and vector control research, and develop innovative, strategic and evidence-based solutions to eliminate malaria and catalyze action in countries and regions that are paving the way for global eradication.
Malaria Elimination Initiative
The Malaria Elimination Initiative (MEI) believes a malaria-free world is possible within a generation. The MEI is a forward-thinking partner to countries and regions that are actively working to eliminate malaria—a goal that nearly 30 countries will achieve by 2020. The MEI’s primary activities are:
The DeRisi Lab focuses on genomic approaches to the study of Plasmodium falciparum, the causative agent of the most deadly form of human malaria.
Lancet Commission on Malaria Eradication
The Lancet Commission on Malaria Eradication is an international advisory group that is developing evidence to guide eradication strategies at national, regional, and global levels. A joint endeavor between The Lancet and the Global Health Group at the UCSF Institute for Global Health Sciences, the Commission will elaborate the scientific, operational, and financial requirements to achieve a world free from malaria.
PRISM (Program for Resistance, Immunology, Surveillance and Modeling of Malaria) is a multi-project research collaboration between UCSF and Makerere University in Uganda, and a program of the International Center of Excellence for Malaria Research. PRISM applies a comprehensive and iterative approach to malaria surveillance to improve understanding of the disease and measure the impact of population-control interventions.
Shrinking the Malaria Map
With great progress since 1900, global eradication of malaria within a generation is achievable.
- Adam Bennett, PhD
- Joe DeRisi, PhD
- Grant Dorsey, MD
- Sir Richard Feachem, DSc, PhD
- Roland (Roly) Gosling, PhD, MS
- Bryan Greenhouse, MD
- Allison Tatarsky, MPH
- VIDEO: Advancing Malaria Vaccine Research: Progress, Capacity Building and Networking
- Malaria Elimination Initiative
- Makerere University UCSF Research Collaboration
- Asian Development Bank
- Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation
- Drollinger Family Charitable Foundation
- Novartis Foundation
- The Parker Foundation
- Sumitomo Chemical
- Asia Pacific Malaria Elimination Network
- Asia Pacific Malaria Leader’s Alliance
- Clinton Health Access Initiative
- Elimination 8 Regional Initiative
- Malaria No More
- President’s Malaria Initiative
- Roll Back Malaria Partnership