The Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Committee at the Institute for Global Health Sciences (IGHS) aspires to build a broadly diverse and inclusive faculty, student and staff community that reflects the partners and communities we collaborate with globally.
This committee cultivates an environment that is welcoming, values differences and diverse ideas, and provides culturally humble education, research and program implementation worldwide.
What is diversity, equity and inclusion?
We understand diversity as the presence of differences in gender, race, ethnicity, nationality, religion, sexual orientation, socio-economic status.
Equity ensures everyone has access to the same opportunities. It recognizes that advantages and barriers exist, and that, as a result, we all don’t start from the same place.
Inclusion happens when people with different identities feel and/or are valued, leveraged and welcomed within a given setting.
- To create an environment at IGHS where people freely and comfortably express their ideas about diversity, equity and inclusiveness.
- To develop an environment at IGHS where diversity, equity and inclusion are demonstrated in our everyday practices
- To create transparent hiring practices that prioritize diversity and inclusion during recruitment
- To understand how other universities, NGOs, and private companies address diversity, equity and inclusion (DEI) in their global work and promote DEI to external partners and funders.
- Lucia Abascal
- Hana Azman
- Purba Chatterjee
- Ingrid Chen
- Sun Cotter
- Madhavi Dandu
- Heidi Frank
- Anika Kalra
- Usma Khan
- Saehee Lee
- Eliza Love
- Johnson Lyimo
- Mohsen Malekinejad
- Mike Reid
Resources and Trainings
- UCSF Office of Diversity website
- Decolonizing Gobal Health
- Differences Matter
- Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Champion Training
- Advancing women in science, medicine, and global health
- The Role of the Chief Diversity Officer in Academic Health Centers
- Black Lives Matter
- University of Edinburgh, Decolonizing Global Health conference
- IGHS Antiracist Book Club
- What White People Can do For Racial Justice
- 5 Ways to Show up for Racial Justice Today
- How to be an Anti-Racist
- Silenced Voices in Global Health
- White Supremacy in Global Health
- Global Health Needs More Than a Makeover
- Seven things organizations should be doing to combat racism
- Academic Medicine and Black Lives Matter
- Stolen Breaths
- Compilation of Resources (google doc)