The Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Committee at the Institute for Global Health Sciences (IGHS) aspires to build a broadly diverse and inclusive faculty, student and staff community that reflects the partners and communities we collaborate with globally.
This committee cultivates an environment that is welcoming, values differences and diverse ideas, and supports culturally humble education, research and program implementation worldwide.
What is diversity, equity and inclusion?
We understand diversity as the presence of differences in gender, race, ethnicity, nationality, religion, sexual orientation, socio-economic status.
Equity ensures everyone has access to the same opportunities. It recognizes that advantages and barriers exist, and that, as a result, we all don’t start from the same place.
Inclusion happens when people with different identities feel and/or are valued, leveraged and welcomed within a given setting.
2022-2023 Committee Objectives
- Address anti-racist knowledge gaps
- Achieve demographic diversity across IGHS, including leadership
- Create a healthy, safe and welcoming climate for IGHS employees and learners
- Advance equity in IGHS mission
- Embed equity as part of essential criteria in decision-making
- Further IGHS commitment to decolonizing global health
- 21-day Global Health Equity Challenge
- IGHS and DEB Social Justice Book Club
- Reimagining Global Health Working Group
Celebrate differences at work! IGHS faculty and staff are invited to create a shadow box featuring objects that describe their cultures or backgrounds in ways that are meaningful to them and to enjoy the boxes made by their coworkers. Stop by the diversity wall near the Finance and Research Services area the next time you are in Mission Hall to enjoy boxes like those below. (Facing the reception desk, make three quick right turns to end up behind the elevators.) Inspired to make your own box? The boxes can be found underneath Heidi Frank's desk (#3538).
Do you have feedback, thoughts, comments or suggestions for the DEI Committee? Please contact us anonymously using this form.
Learning to change
- How to be an Anti-Racist
- 5 Ways to Show up for Racial Justice Today
- Avoiding ableist language
- Academic medicine and Black Lives Matter
- The history of attacks against Asian Americans is complicated. Addressing it will be, too
Decolonizing global health
- Silenced Voices in Global Health
- White Supremacy in Global Health
- Global Health Needs More Than a Makeover
Equity in global health
- Americans with Disabilities Act Title II Regulations
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention Health Literacy
- UCSF Disability Resources
- UCOP Electronic Accessibility
- UCSF Digital Accessibility Program
- UCSF Disability Allies Newsletter
UCSF Committees and Initiatives
- Office of Diversity and Outreach
- Diversity and Inclusion Committees
- School of Medicine’s Differences Matter
- Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Champion Training (Postponed as of December 2022)