The Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Committee at the Institute for Global Health Sciences (IGHS) aspires to build a broadly diverse and inclusive faculty, student and staff community that reflects the partners and communities we collaborate with globally.
This committee cultivates an environment that is welcoming, values differences and diverse ideas, and provides culturally humble education, research and program implementation worldwide.
What is diversity, equity and inclusion?
We understand diversity as the presence of differences in gender, race, ethnicity, nationality, religion, sexual orientation, socio-economic status.
Equity ensures everyone has access to the same opportunities. It recognizes that advantages and barriers exist, and that, as a result, we all don’t start from the same place.
Inclusion happens when people with different identities feel and/or are valued, leveraged and welcomed within a given setting.
Watch - UC Global Health Day 2021: Decolonizing Global Health to Advance Health Equity. Showcasing diverse multi-disciplinary speakers who shared their perspectives and engaged in thought-provoking conversation. We look forward to continuing these crucial conversations as we work together to take action to decolonize global health and advance health equity for all.
Committee Objectives: 2021
- To create an environment where diversity, equity and inclusion are demonstrated in our everyday practices where people freely and comfortably express their ideas about diversity and inclusiveness
- To create transparent hiring practices that prioritize diversity and inclusion during recruitment
- To create proactive dialogue on decolonizing global health, and develop guiding principles on how to conduct work with this lens
- To influence the development and implementation of pipeline programs that focus on BIPOC students, staff, academics, faculty
Have feedback, thoughts, comments, suggestion? Contact us anonymously.
- IGHS Antiracist Book Club
Upcoming book: The Sum of Us by Heather McGhee
- Decolonizing Global Health Working Group
- DEI Committee Members
Resources and Trainings
- How to be an Anti-Racist
- What White People Can do For Racial Justice
- 5 Ways to Show up for Racial Justice Today
- Academic Medicine and Black Lives Matter
- The history of attacks against Asian Americans is complicated. Addressing it will be, too
Decolonizing global health
- Silenced Voices in Global Health
- White Supremacy in Global Health
- Global Health Needs More Than a Makeover