The Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Committee at the Institute for Global Health Sciences (IGHS) aspires to build a broadly diverse and inclusive faculty, student and staff community that reflects the partners and communities we collaborate with globally.
This committee cultivates an environment that is welcoming, values differences and diverse ideas, and provides culturally humble education, research and program implementation worldwide.
What is diversity, equity and inclusion?
We understand diversity as the presence of differences in gender, race, ethnicity, nationality, religion, sexual orientation, socio-economic status.
Equity ensures everyone has access to the same opportunities. It recognizes that advantages and barriers exist, and that, as a result, we all don’t start from the same place.
Inclusion happens when people with different identities feel and/or are valued, leveraged and welcomed within a given setting.
Watch - UC Global Health Day 2021: Decolonizing Global Health to Advance Health Equity. Showcasing diverse multi-disciplinary speakers who shared their perspectives and engaged in thought-provoking conversation. We look forward to continuing these crucial conversations as we work together to take action to decolonize global health and advance health equity for all.
Committee Objectives: 2021
- To create an environment where diversity, equity and inclusion are demonstrated in our everyday practices where people freely and comfortably express their ideas about diversity and inclusiveness
- To create transparent hiring practices that prioritize diversity and inclusion during recruitment
- To create proactive dialogue on decolonizing global health, and develop guiding principles on how to conduct work with this lens
- To influence the development and implementation of pipeline programs that focus on BIPOC students, staff, academics, faculty
- Lucia Abascal
- Hana Azman
- Ingrid Chen
- Sun Cotter
- Madhavi Dandu
- Heidi Frank
- Anika Kalra
- Usma Khan
- Eliza Love
- Mike Reid
- Kelly Taylor
- Katy Vosburg
Have feedback, thoughts, comments, suggestion? Contact us anonymously.
- IGHS Antiracist Book Club
- Currently: The Vanishing Half by Brit Bennett
- Next: Minor Feelings by Cathy Park Hong
Resources and Trainings
- UCSF Office of Diversity website
- Decolonizing Gobal Health
- Differences Matter
- Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Champion Training
- Advancing women in science, medicine, and global health
- The Role of the Chief Diversity Officer in Academic Health Centers
- Black Lives Matter
- University of Edinburgh, Decolonizing Global Health conference
- New: The history of attacks against Asian Americans is complicated. Addressing it will be, too
- What White People Can do For Racial Justice
- 5 Ways to Show up for Racial Justice Today
- How to be an Anti-Racist
- Silenced Voices in Global Health
- White Supremacy in Global Health
- Global Health Needs More Than a Makeover
- Seven things organizations should be doing to combat racism
- Academic Medicine and Black Lives Matter
- Stolen Breaths
- Compilation of Resources (google doc)