10:00 am to 12:30 pm PDT (UTC-7)
Virtual system-wide conference on global health showcasing outstanding research, training and outreach. Register here.
About this Event
This year's theme for UC Global Health Day is Decolonizing Global Health to Advance Health Equity. It will be an opportunity to engage with our UC and global communities on what it means and what it looks like to start the process of decolonizing global health.
For this year's event, we will have critical conversations and build starting points in the work of decolonizing global health through the lens of health equity. We welcome a diverse and broad audience of local, national and international individuals from all sectors involved or interested in a collective and equitable vision for global health reform. The sessions will critically review past and current practices in order to understand the implications of colonization and racism as we shape the future of global health. We plan to empower attendees to recognize and dismantle systems of oppression in their own global health practice, in the hope of creating a more equitable, just, and effective field. This is a free event.
- Introducing President Drake: Tom Coates (he/him/his), Director of UC Global Health Institute, UCLA
Opening Plenary Speaker: Radmilla Cody (she/her/hers), Community Advocate, Community Organizer/Grammy-nominated Singer
- Andrea Garcia (she/her/hers), Physician Specialist at LA County Department of Mental Health, UCB/UCSF alum, National Clinician Scholars Program (UCLA) alum
- Anita Francesca Claverie (she/her/hers), Borderlands Restoration, UC Davis alum
- Beth Rose Middleton (she/her/hers), Professor/Department Chair of UC Davis Department of Native American Studies
- Mark LeBeau, Chief Executive Officer for the California Rural Indian Health Board Inc.
- Elvin Geng (he/him/his), Professor of Medicine at Washington University School of Medicine in St. Louis, UC Berkeley alum, UCSF Fellowship alum in Infectious Disease
- Eric Goosby (he/him/his), Professor of Medicine at UCSF, Biden-Harris COVID-19 Task Force member*
- Hollis Wong-Wear (she/her/hers), Singer/Songwriter, Grammy Nominee, Facilitator & Educator, Community Advocate
Early Career Professionals Panel: Bridgette Smith (she/her/hers), (Moderator, PhD student at UC Davis)*
- Johnson Lyimo, PhD student at UCSF
- Nykki Velora Jones, Recent MPH grad of UCLA
- Siana Nkya (she/her/hers), UCGHI GloCal Health Fellowship alum, University of Dar es Salaam, Muhimbili University of Health and Allied Sciences
Closing Plenary Speaker: Javon Johnson (he/him/his), Assistant Professor, Director of African American and African Diaspora Studies, University of Nevada Las Vegas
*Members of the UC Global Health Institute’s Black Lives Matter Task Force
**Winners of the Creative Expressions Contests will be announced throughout the program!
This is a program of the UC Global Health Institute (UCGHI)