At UCSF, we conduct basic science, surveillance and vector control research, and develop innovative, strategic and evidence-based solutions to eliminate malaria and catalyze action in countries and regions that are paving the way for global eradication.
As a forward-thinking partner on the front line, the Malaria Elimination Initiative (MEI) generates evidence through operational research, develops new tools and approaches for aggressive elimination, documents and disseminates elimination experiences, builds consensus, assesses the costs and benefits of elimination, and strengthens political and financial commitment to shrinking the malaria map.The MEI believes global malaria eradication through regional elimination is possible within a generation.
- Surveillance Research & Support for Malaria Elimination
- Innovative Vector Control for Malaria Elimination
- Support of Regional Malaria Elimination Initiatives
UCSF scientists are also researching new antimalarial drugs and interventions to control the disease in large populations. This research includes:
- The DeRisi Lab, which focuses on genomic approaches to the study of Plasmodium falciparum, the causative agent of the most deadly form of human malaria.
- PRISM (Program for Resistance, Immunology, Surveillance and Modeling of Malaria) in Tororo, Uganda, a multi-project program of the International Center of Excellence for Malaria Research(ICEMR). ICEMR is a research collaboration between UCSF and Makerere University. PRISM applies a comprehensive and iterative approach to malaria surveillance to improve understanding of the disease and measure the impact of population-control interventions.
Shrinking the Malaria Map
With great progress since 1900, global eradication of malaria within a generation is achievable.
What Do We Need to Achieve a Grand Convergence in Malaria?
- Adam Bennett, PhD
- Joe DeRisi, PhD
- Grant Dorsey, MD
- Sir Richard Feachem, DSc, PhD
- Roland (Roly) Gosling, PhD, MS
- Bryan Greenhouse, MD
- Allison Phillips
- Hugh Sturrock, PhD
- Allison Tatarsky, MPH
- More People
- Roly Gosling Works Toward His Vision of a Malaria-Free World
- Global Push to Eradicate Malaria Boosted by Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation Grant
- Malaria Elimination Group
- Makerere University UCSF Research Collaboration
- Asian Development Bank
- Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation
- Drollinger Family Charitable Foundation
- Novartis Foundation
- The Parker Foundation
- Sumitomo Chemical
- Asia Pacific Malaria Elimination Network
- Asia Pacific Malaria Leader’s Alliance
- Clinton Health Access Initiative
- Elimination 8 Regional Initiative
- Malaria No More
- President’s Malaria Initiative
- Roll Back Malaria Partnership