The PhD program admits a new student cohort every other year.
You must have the following qualifications to apply:
- A graduate degree with at least a 3.0 GPA
- Experience with underserved populations
- Exposure to scientific research
How to Apply
Submit the following required materials to the UCSF Graduate Division online application, where you will find complete instructions:
- Scores from the Graduate Record Exam (GRE) taken in the past 5 years
- Scores from TOEFL or IELTS for non-native English Speakers taken in the past 2 years
- Official transcripts from all institutions attended
- Three letters of recommendation
- Résumé or curriculum vitae
- Description of your area of research interest
- Statement of purpose addressing your professional and research goals
- Writing sample (no more than 15 pages)
Student Success and Wellness
Success in graduate school requires care and attention to all aspects of your life: health and wellness, community, career development, personal and professional relationships, and security and safety. UCSF is committed to providing a full range of resources and services to help you succeed. Learn more about these resources by visiting our Student Success website.
Student Disability Services (SDS) is available to assist you in obtaining the services and accommodations you require to ensure equal access to all aspects of the UCSF experience. Early communication with the relevant administrators is critical to successful partnership in arranging accommodations. SDS will coordinate communications and procedures with you and the graduate faculty and programs. Please visit the SDS website and review their information sheet to learn more.
Admissions are currently closed
Application opens for admissions to 2019 cohort