To be eligible for the GHCSP, students must:
- be graduate students, clinical fellows, or residents at UCSF in one of the following Schools: Dentistry, Graduate Division, Medicine, Nursing* or Pharmacy;
- be committed to a career congruent with the program's purposes and priorities in developing interdisciplinary scholarly work in global health;
- receive written approval from their program director to support the application;
All applicant decisions are made by the GHCSP Oversight Committee. We are committed to a program that embraces racial, ethnic, gender and disciplinary diversity, and we encourage applications from candidates with diverse backgrounds and clinical disciplines.
* Eligibility for School of Nursing Students: Students in the master’s degree programs in the School of Nursing, including MEPN and specialty master’s degree students, are eligible to participate in the GHCSP during the final year of their program. Students can submit their application during Winter Quarter (or by February 15) of the previous year.
Scholars are expected to
- Attend a three-week didactic course in September;
- Review a series of case-based teaching modules over the year;
- Design and complete a scholarly project in global health under the mentorship of a UCSF faculty member;
- Attend two evening meetings to help foster community building and discuss global health topics;
- Provide quarterly updates to program directors and identified mentor/s on projects and modules
The application process begins nine months before candidates are appointed to the program; appointments are effective September 1, 2014.
November - December 2014 - Candidates are encouraged to make inquiries and begin preliminary discussions with their Program Directors
February 15th, 2015 - Application Deadline. All applications and program director forms of support must be submitted online.
March, 2015 - Candidates will be notified of the decisions on their applications
May, 2015 - Evening pre-orientation
September 8th-25th, 2015, 9AM - 4PM - Three week didactic course
Graduate Students or residents who meet the eligibility requirements should apply online. For questions, contact Maggie Coffin.
Apply Now Online!
Please be prepared to submit all application materials online. You must have received approval from your program director, who agrees to complete an online form of support. We also recommend that you have your personal statement and CV prepared ahead of time and then upload it as a PDF to the online application.
Your application must include the following:
- Personal statement(not to exceed 250 words) describing why you are interested in the Clinical Scholars program including:
- your previous involvement with global health specifically in the areas of clinical work, research, or program and policy development;
- your future career plans as they relate to global health (specify any or all areas of clinical, research, program or policy development in your vision);
- a brief description of a research project you might be interested in conducting as a Scholar and/or a particular area of interest or focus within global health you would like to pursue
- Curriculum vitae (upload PDF to online application)
- Online form of support from program director, to verify that you are in good standing and can take the three week full-time September course (starting the Tuesday after Labor day). After you have submitted your online application, your program director will receive an email with the link to this form.
Apply Now Online!